Monday, June 6, 2011

Getting Real

Isn't it sad when some folks think they can merely say "I'm sorry," and all is well? Talk is quite cheap these days, and unless change in behavior follows the words, they are meaningless. In fact, the words are often a lie, uttered out of expediency, needing to look contrite, when one really is not.


Same with love. Saying "I love you" is nice, certainly pleasant to hear, but if the actions before, during, and after saying so don't match the words, they're also meaningless. In fact, it's quite pathetic.


While I was blessed to be raised by emotionally healthy parents who said what they meant and meant what they said, thanks be to God, not everyone was. Someone I care about has an emotionally abusive parent who doesn't see that the wounds she inflicts drives him farther from her. She only cares about herself, because she's never gotten out of whatever she's stuck in. She's as sick as any alcoholic or drug user. May she find the helps she needs; he's beginning to, thankfully.


Not wanting to be a bummer with this post, but those who know me, know that I am deeply real, finding much for what passes as spirituality these days, with its denial of the negative, nothing more than fluff and fairy dust. Life needs to be lived as it is, knowing that the Holy Spirit's right there with us.



1 comment:

Thom, SFO said...

I know that you didn't- you couldn't- but it's like you wrote this one for me.